Some comments on Storm Linux (Debian in disguise)

Hello there,
            There have been a couple of postings recently regarding Storm
Linux which uses Debian as it's base. I just thought I'd post my
experiences with this dist. I downloaded the iso image that is available
at http://www.stormix.com/download/index_html and burnt a CD from this
image. I then proceded to install on a HP 4100 laptop and a PII 400 with
multiple disks. In both cases the graphical installer failed to work,
click text install and all is ok. On the PII 400 I wanted to install on
the second IDE hard disk, there is already a /usr 'Slink' partition at
/dev/hdb1 on this drive, the installer would not let me do this! It
created the partitions, a 4G / and a 96 Meg swap partition but refused to
install to these. It also left the partitions on the drive, but to no
avail, I removed these with fdisk.
So on to the laptop, I set up a 16 Meg /boot, a 4 GByte / and a 98 Meg
swap partition. The installer asked me what I wished to install, when I
clicked details for the various sections of the install no packages were
shown! Oh well, I'll just install everything, which I believe is the
default anyway! The installation completed normally and I presumed that
everything was installed. At least that's what I asked for. However after
examining the installation I see the following problems.

i) The PCMCIA package appears to be missing
ii) The kernel headers are in /usr/src but there is no kernel source

The CD does not contain a packages file so I couldn't run dselect on the
installation CD. The apt/sources.list file points at Stormix's ftp
site, fine but if I have no network or I use PCMCIA ethernet?

The storm package manager, (a graphical front end to dselect) looks very
spiffy but is of no use if I can't use the installation CD and have no
fast http/ftp access to the ftp site. So in conclusion I'm rather
dissapointed, if I had been at work on the network fine, but on a
standalone laptop?

These are just what I found, perhaps I missed something? Don't flame me if
you disagree, they'll just go to /dev/null.

Regards JohnG

_/  John Gould                                      _/
_/  Senior Systems Support Engineer                 _/
_/  Power Innovations Limited                       _/
_/  Manton Lane, Bedford. MK41 7BJ, England         _/
_/  PGP - Public key available                      _/
_/  email: johng@powinv.com, john.gould@powinv.com  _/
_/  Tel:   +44 1234 223002  Fax: +44 1234 223000    _/