Re: ssh

On 13 Mar, Beavis wrote

> i need help setting my linux box up for a ssh connenction
>
> using putty on win98 wanna contact linux box via ssh
> what do i need to load to setup up authticatyion

First, you need to be running sshd on your linux box. It's available as
a debian package, however I believe you need to set your sources for
apt to point to a server outside the US to even have it available for
installation in dselect (or whatever apt front-end you use). This may
change soon as the US recently modified it's laws governing the export
of cryptographic software.

Does putty support ssh? If not, you need a piece of software that does.
Take a look at TeraTerm. It's a free telnet client for windows. There
is an additional module that will allow TeraTerm to 'speak ssh.'

You will notice that there are two ssh daemons available for debian
linux. ssh & ssh2. TeraTerm uses the ssh1 protocol.

TeraTerm's ssh support is great in that it easily supports X11
tunneling. You can also tunnel any other ports through the secure ssh
connection, ftp comes to mind.

Good luck,

Jason