nls support

When booting my slink box recently, I get this message:

Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)

as normal, at the top of the boot msgs, then, recently, about when the
partitions mount:

Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)

I've noticed that recent outgoing mails that mutt saves have "--=20"
instead of "-- " and this is probably related. This began about
the time I did a lot of system tweaking. (I think I just heard a bunch
of Linux wizards grind their teeth :) I've also noticed some text files
that show:

 <B7>  mutt-announce

with the <B7> shown in reverse. But I can't remember if it was like that
before. keymaps.sh works fine.

/usr/share/console -fonts and -trans are still extant. I've taken:

atd       xdm       isdnutils    mountnfs.sh  nfs-server   pcmcia

out of /etc/init.d/ and update-rc.d'ed them out. (This is a home box
but I leave it running 24/7.) I've also removed the mutt, slrn, and gpg
.deb's to install the most up to date tarball's in /usr/local/* .
BUT I haven't updated the kernel, libraries or compiler except by using
slink .deb's, as I still find it too confusing yet.

Any ideas? :)

--
bedlam@concentric.net  ||  http://www.concentric.net/~bedlam
Though nothing is wasted, everything is spent. -- Annie Dillard