Re: Apt message "Segmentation faulty Tree... 50%"

Thanks Jason,

Your sugestion took care of the problem, and all is now well AFAIK.

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, paul wrote:
>
> > Today, when doing "apt-get upgrade" on my "Potato" machine, apt-get exited
> > with the following messages:
>
> Usually 'rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin' makes it go away, I dont understand how
> it is possible to get into a state where that is required
>
> Jason

It'd be nice to know what caused it.  I'm leaning to hardware problems, as I
noticed in my journals that I had some rather funny filesystem and data
coruption problems with a similar motherboard (MVP3) and this same HD (Quantum
6.4 gig) last year when the HD was using 32 bit mode.  I reset the HD back to
16 bit using "hdparm -c 0 /dev/hda" and the problems ceased.  Just did the
same on this machine, but I'm unsure if the two events are similar.  (the same
journal says that 32 bit mode really doesn't help perfomance much either with
this chip/HD combo).  Anyone out there know something real?  I always
apreciate being informed, and I'd rather know than have a hunch.

-ptw