RE: JDK 1.1.7 doesn't swing

    CC>  Hi Seth, Thanks for the info, unfortunately nothing helps!
    CC> ldconfig didn't help, jar placement hasn't helped, and the
    CC> xlib6g-dev package was already installed.
    CC>
    CC> Also tried getting the original 117 package from Steve Byrne's
    CC> site and it does the same thing...
    CC>
    CC> Anyone with success using Swing on Debian?  What needs to be
    CC> done, what am I doing wrong?

I have been using Swing on Debian since the blackdown-jdk-117, without
any problems. First of all, I have always downloaded the jdk tarballs
from the blackdown site (<http://www.blackdown.org>). The tarballs give
me more control, IMO, over the packaged .debs that come with Debian.

I have used:

(1) Blackdown JDK 117
(2) IBM JDK 118
(3) Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 RC3
(4) Sun JDK 1.2.2 RC2
(5) Sun JDK 1.2.2 Final

with Swing all without any problems. For (1) and (2), I had to install
the Swing tarball additionally. Currently, I am using Sun's final jdk
1.2.2 release (#5 in the list above) and it seems to be a bit better
than the others.

Here is what I have always done:

(1) download the jdk from the appropriate site
(2) install in /usr/local/java/jdk1.2.2/
(3) make sure that the above dir's bin dir is in my PATH env variable:

    setenv PATH $JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

    (Since I use tcsh, this in my .tcshrc, modify according to the shell
     you are using and place the line in your shell's config file)

(4) Set JAVA_HOME, and optionally SWING_HOME and CLASSPATH for 1.1.x
    JDKs:

    #setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/java/jdk117_v3
    #setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/java/jdk118
    setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/java/jdk1.2.2
    #setenv SWING_HOME /usr/local/java/swing-1.1
    #setenv CLASSPATH .:$SWING_HOME/swingall.jar

The first commented out line was for the Blackdown 117 JDK that I
used. The second commented out line was for IBM's 118 JDK. For either of
those two JDKs I would have to set SWING_HOME and CLASSPATH.

My suggestion: download either Blackdown's latest 1.1.2 JDK (RC4 I
think) or Sun's final 1.2.2 JDK release for Linux, and install as per
above instructions.

Write back if you still have problems.

In my experience, Linux has proven to be an excellent development
platform for Java: XEmacs, JDE, Sun's final 1.2.2 JDK release. Now, if
only IBM could get their act together and release their JDK 1.2.2 :)

PS : I am running an updated potato system with libc-2.1.3-7 and kernel
2.2.14. You didn't mention what kernel version you are using.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com