Slink->potato migration

I'm trying to finish migrating from Slink to Potato. It's been mostly
successful, but after a 50mb download I am now getting odd errors from apt.

Here's what's been done so far:

1) Installed Slink from bootable CD-ROM up to the first reboot.
2) After the reboot, said "no" to choosing a group of packages, and quit out
of dselect
3) Edited /etc/apt/sources.list to point to frozen instead of stable
4) ran apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade (~12mb download)

The above all went flawlessly. Then (since there's nothing except the base
system installed) I ran dselect, and tried to install gcc (which includes
about 48mb worth of dependency stuff, so ~50mb total). Download completed
successfully.

Now I'm getting an error about perl-base needing to be removed temporarily
to prevent a dependency check loop. It says I can override by enabling
APT::BreakLoop (or something like that, I don't have the exact text in front
of me). Immediately following that is an error saying it can't early remove
perl-base, and after hitting Enter I get dumped back into dselect.

Anyone have a clue what's going on and what I can do to get these packages
installed? :) Thanks for the help.

Nathan
gblues@jps.net