Printer not working after upgrade to 2.2 kernel

After I upgraded to kernel 2.2.14 from 2.0.38 my printer wouldn't work.
I had to:

cd /dev
rm lp*
MAKEDEV lp

to correct the problem.  Unfortunately I don't remember what the old major
and minor device numbers were, however there were four of them
lp0, lp1, lp2, lp3. After reinstalling them I only have
/dev/lp0 -- /dev/lp2 and now my printer works fine.
Also the printer changed from /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0. I have been running the
same devices since Debian 1.3.1.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Mike Thompson
mthomp@pacificcoast.net

"Free-ware may contain bugs and is not as widely available as
commercial software"
Stan Dormer on Linux security.