Re: HOW DO I Apply debian patch to original source?

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 06:24:50PM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I posted this to the list once already, but I don't know if it made it.
>
> I am trying to compile a debian package from source. I can go to the package's
> web page and get the original source along with the diff. How do I apply the
> patch?
>
> If I do a
>
> $ tar zxf wu-ftpd_2.6.0.orig.tar.gz
> $ zcat wu-ftpd_2.6.0-4.diff.gz | patch -p1
> can't find file to patch at input line 3
> Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |--- wu-ftpd-2.6.0.orig/src/ftpcount.c
> |+++ wu-ftpd-2.6.0/src/ftpcount.c
> --------------------------
> File to patch:
>

> I am interested in the wu-ftpd package.
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/source/net/wu-ftpd_2.6.0.orig.tar.gz
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/source/net/wu-ftpd_2.6.0-4.diff.gz

To create a package from the Debian source, you should also install
dpkg-dev and download
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/source/net/wu-ftpd_2.6.0-4.dsc

Then type "dpkg-source -x wu-ftpd_2.6.0-4.dsc" (as root).  This will
unpack the source and apply the patch.  You should then cd to the
wu-ftpd-2.6.0 directory which was created and type "debian/rules binary".
This will compile the source and create the Debian package for you.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY (RN2)                    nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ DM42nh  QRP-L #1985  SOC #77    http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen