compiling new kernel

i am trying to compile the kernel 2.2.14 on to my i386 machine
please help if u can, thnakx

 update:

 after doing make bzImage, it starts to compile, which takes about 10 mins
or
so right.
then at the end it says:

as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
make[1]: as86:  Command not found
make[1]: *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]:  Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

 why is this happening?
 i went over a redid the make menuconfig and even checked to make sure it
 saved properly .config in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14

> > this is what i am doing:
> >

> > >Once that is all done and you choose "Exit" and save your config file,
> you
> > must >run make dep followed by make clean. And now the fun begins, type
> make
> > >bzImage to build your kernel. This will take awhile (15mins+) so go
> browse
> > >our site a little and send us some feedback ;). Instead of make
bzImage,
> > you >can also do make zdisk which will write your kernel to a floppy
disk
> > instead.
> > >Now that it's done, you have to do make modules followed by make
> > >modules_install and that should be it for the Kernel if all goes well.
> Now
> > it's >time to set up LILO. First you have to move the newly created
Kernel