ipchains

Hi.

This should be easy, but I just can't figure out how to do it.  All I
want is to be able to set up a firewall where everything is disabled
except that I can browse the internet and send/receive email.  I'm
running some network stuff, but it does not need to be seen by anyone
else but me.  I thought this would work:

ipchains -P input DENY
ipchains -A input -s localhost -j ACCEPT

but now I can't browse on outside networks.  So I guess I need to run
a proxy, right?  So I downloaded squid, and have it so that I can
browse my local network, but it still can't get connections to outside
networks.

Could someone please tell me why this isn't working?  Why does the
outside net need to connect to my box so that I can browse?  If there
is a web page that explains things at a little lower level than the
howtos I'd appreciate that address as well.

Cheers,
Chris Gray

P.S. Other (possibly less relevant) info:  for email I'm using
fetchmail and exim.  For the kernel I'm using 2.2.14.  For browsing
I'm using Netscape 4.7.

--
The reason that every major university maintains a department of
mathematics is that it's cheaper than institutionalizing all those people.