Mounting PCMCIA Compact Flash card

I would like to be able to read/write my CF Card which stores photo's
from a digital camera.
I have a CF -> PCMCIA adapter, and my card is identified by the system.
The output of the 'cardctl ident' command is:

  Socket 0:
    product info: "3Com Corporation", "3C589", "TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a",
    "000002"
    manfid: 0x0101, 0x0589
    function: 6 (network)
  Socket 1:
    product info: "SiliconTech,Inc.", "32MB Compact PC Card", "Ver 3.0"
    manfid: 0x014d, 0x0001
    function: 4 (fixed disk)

So Socket 1 contains the card. Now the PCMCIA FAQ suggests something
like:

  mke2fs /dev/ftl0c0
  mount -t ext2 /dev/ftl0c0 /mnt

Which outputs a complaint like:

  Could not stat /dev/ftl0c0 --- No such file or directory

I have also discovered a script ftl in /etc/pcmcia, but I cannot seem to
do anything useful with that.

If someone has any suggestion on who to proceed, I will be very
thankful!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <erik@avondel.xs4all.nl>