HELP! Install problem. How to free I/O locked by "reserve=..." in boot params?

Hi All,

I have to install potato on a computer which locks with standard potato's
installation kernel.
This machine has a NIC (wd8003) located at 0x280. During the boot time
one of the SCSI drivers (probably sim710) included in the standard kernel
tries to detect the SCSI controller at the same address, locking the
machine. The only solution is to use "reserve=0x280,0x20" at the boot
prompt.
In this case kernel initializes correctly, however I can not insmod
the NIC module later to complete the installation :-(.

I've read the Boot-Prompt HOWTO, but there was nothing about such cases.
I can not change the NIC's iobase.
Is there any special boot parameter to disable the autodetection
of particular address without blocking it for modules?
Is there any way to free such reserved I/O space?

--
				TIA
	                      Wojciech M. Zabolotny

http://www.gnupg.org  Gnu Privacy Guard - protect your mail & data