Re: Printers in Linux

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:37:03 +0100 (CET) S.P. van Noort wrote:

>I want to buy a (not to expensive color) printer which will be used on a
>Linux-only-box, and I wonder of any of you has some good ideas about it.

>I've looked around, among others at
>www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi, but as far as I can see the
>only printer that is sold in The Netherlands which works perfectly is the
>HP 610C . But for 30 US$ more, I have a HP 710 C which should print two
>times faster. But according to the webpage you need a special program
>pbm2ppa and you can't print plain text.  This problem is with almost all
>the printers. What does this mean, that everything in ASCII you want to
>print is automaticaly converted to DVI/PS and you won't notice the
>difference, except that cat file > /dev/lp1 maybe doesn't work?

The enscript program is used to convert text to postscript.  I have a HP 720 at home, and I have not been satisfied with it in Linux (works fine in Win98)

>The printers I've seen here in Holland are, a.o.
>HP 610, 710, 720, 815, 840, 880
>Epson 460, 660, 760
>Canon 2000, 3000, 6100
>I can't find any of the printers in magicfilter and apsfilter.

I have a HP 812 at work that works great with the HP 882 magicfilter (should also work with the 810, 815, 880, and maybe the 840.)  I don't know about the HP 610.  You may check into closely-named printers for the Epson and Canon printers, sometimes the difference is whether they support USB for Macintosh, etc.

>Then another question, someone will come here with a laptop and want to
>take files from my Linux-box to his windows98-laptop. Does someone know a
>good webpage/HOWTO how to do that, according to what I've seen it's
>done with a null-modem. I don't have time to Trial & Error
>with the laptop, so a specific HOWTO would be appreciated. As far as I
>found out it should be something with pppd with the option local.

Sorry, I can't help you there.

--
Bruce Mobarry
EP 406