Re: Update this morning killed local login.

** On Mar 02, Todd Suess scribbled:

> Greets ppl,
>
> I did an apt-get dist-upgrade this morning, and after that I can no longer
> log in to the console.  I had just rebooted after the update, and was watching
> the kernel boot messages, when I saw something strange pop up.  It was similar
> to the following (going from memory)
>
> Checking for valid XFree86 configuration file.....unable to check!
> Not starting KDM Windows Manager
>
> I then got a normal non X login console screen, but no matter what
I got that several times as well. It turned out that the keyboard was
initialized in a way that some keys (apparently at random) were swapped -
e.g. q/a, y/z. At first I thought the problem was that I selected a Polish
keyboard (Poland has two keyboard layouts - one "official" and practically
not used :), and the other one "programmers". The official one uses the
qwertz layout while the other the standard US one), but the keys were
swapped each time differently. It was enough for me to login remotely, su to
root and reinitialize the keyboard. To see whether it is your problem - just
type the password as a login name and see whether all characters are
correct. I failed to find where the problem lied since the keyboard layout
initialized by console-tools worked OK when the keyboard was reinitialized.

hope that helps,

marek