Re: Update this morning killed local login.

I also had some bizarre behaviour last night after an
update on a potato machine.  Unlike your situation,
everything boots fine and I can log in on X, but I
only get a console.  After poking around for a little
while I figure that the problem is probably a switch
to use the x-window-manager utility and the fact that
my default window manager (afterstep) is not listed in
my alternatives directory.

Can anyone confirm that the switch was made?  I was always
getting a message saying that the old utility was about
to become obsolete...is this now the case?

..and/or are these two problems related?

Cheers,
Paul