Re: netscape -remote doesn't work...

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 03:13:14PM +0100, Pontus Lidman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've wondered why my gnome mini-commander can't open URL's, and I have
> tracked the problem to this point:
>
> willynilly:~% netscape -remote openURL http://www.av.com
> netscape-remote: not running on display :0.0
>
> but I do have netscape up and running on this display. I start it using
> the default icon in the gnome panel. I have also tried running the
> "netscape" command in a shell.

I played around with this on my potato machine (same version?) and it
seems to not work as advertised in the netscape-remote man page.
First, I think your syntax is off, try:

netscape -remote 'openUrl(http://www.av.com)'

The parenthesis and quotes are apparently necessary.

However, despite what the man page says, it is not starting Netscape if
Netscape is not already running

excerpt form man netscape-remote:

DESCRIPTION
       netscape-remote is used to remotely control  the  Netscape
       web  browser.   If  it is called, and there is no Netscape
       running, it will start a new one and pass the action  com­
       mand on to it.  Otherwise, it will pass the action command
       to an already running Netscape.

$ netscape-remote -remote 'openUrl(http://calico)'
netscape-remote: not running on display :1.0

or even:

$ netscape-remote -remote 'openUrl()'
netscape-remote: not running on display :1.0

which is supposed to prompt you for a URL.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |