Re: transfering to new HDD

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Mary Honeycutt wrote:

> I bought a larger hard-drive for my potato box and want
> to transfer my system to it (preserving permissions,
> symlinks, etc).
>
> I thought I saw a thread about this, but couldn't find it.
>
> Can anyone tell me what FM to read to get this going?

just did it

1. install new hd in the system
2. partition it and mke2fs
3. mount it to /mnt
4. execute "find / -xdev | cpio -vdump /mnt"
5. repeat 2,3,4 for any other partition you want to copy - say if
   you have separate /var /home ...
6. make rescue/root disks from .bin files. Note that if you use modern
   e2fs tools they would create ext2 with sparse superblock on and
   you will not be able to use slink rescue. I used potato rescue...
7. put new disk into permanent position
8. reboot, load with rescue disk and tell where the root is:
   "rescue root=/dev/hda1" for example
9. edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo
10. remove floppy and reboot - you should be able to boot from new HD now

good luck

OK

PS: backup !!!