Cups 1.0.5

Hi dear Debian gurus,

    I am a home user running slink (Debian 2.1).

    I've installed the cups 1.0.5 deb package which overwrites my
original lprng package.
But when I try to do
    lpr ~/.bashrc it says     lpr: error -- no default destination
avaiable
then I go through the web for cups related docs and I found
http://cups.sourceforge.net.

Then I followed the steps
    1. [bash] lpstat -o Enter ==> nothing comes out
    2. [bash] cupsd& Enter ==> [1] 523 (I've tried a few times, some are
629, 1003)
    3. [bash] lpstat -o Enter ==> [1]+   Exit 98    cupsd    (I've win98
on the same disk)
            what is that mean ?

Issued the command again lpr ~/.bashrc same error message.

Then I try to add the printer by doing
    [bash] lpadmin -dHewlett Packard Deskjet 660C -vparallel:/dev/lp1
-mdeskjet.ppd
it responds with:   Authentication required for root on localhoist...
                            UNIX Password:
then I entered my root login password. It then responds with:
                            lpadmin: set default failed: The requested
resource was not found on this server.
and jumped back to the command prompt.

How to get cups up and running ?

Thanks in advance.