Re: newbie install problem

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 06:04:30AM -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
> I just bought a book, Debian unleashed and want to set up Debian on my
> computer. I went out and bought a new harddrive, 13 gig and am
> experiencing lots of problems. Help! Please!
> Machine: HP VL-6 Series7, 64 meg ram, 13 gig (new) Maxtor hd, Cirrus
> Logic 5465 Video Adapter, Aztech Sound card,current OS is RH 6.1
> NIC card 3com 10/100 PCI Model # 3C905C-TX-M
> Cable Modem connecting to Cox cable on DHCP

It's not clear how far you've gotten with your installation.

> Problem 1: When I try to install Debian 2.1 from the CD, it doesn't
> allow me to install the module for my NIC card. It says; driver is 'busy
> or not available or not functioning(?verbage). It does allow me to
> install a driver based on Ethernet 8390. Will this work?

Are you trying to load the driver during installation, or after you've
got the system up and running?  I'm not sure what NICs are supported on
the installation kernel, but it's possible that yours is.  Try 'lsmod'
from a shell prompt (you'll find one at the 2nd virtual console, press
<alt><F2> to get there), or simply try to configure networking.  If you
don't need networking during installation, worry about it later.  You
should be able to get the base system installed from the CD, which is
what you want anyway.

The Debian philosophy is this:  do a minimal installation initially.
Get to know your system.  Spend a few quiet evenings together with
candle light and wine.  Then start adding packages.  A few at a time.

> Problem 2: When I try to set up any OS to boot from the hard disk,
> (redhat 6.1, mandrake 7.0, debian) it doesn't work. I assume the bios or
> ? isn't allowing LILO to be written to the MBR. I can live with booting
> from a floppy, after all, Linux *stays up*, right? But it would be nice
> to be able to boot from the hard drive.

Try the "linear" lilo option, see the lilo documentation.  Sounds like
you've partitioned the drive if you're triple-booting Linux distros.
Can you post your partition table and mount points?