can't display remote X jobs after potato

I'm sure it's just yet another one line config change to get my box working
the way it was before the "upgrade,"  but this time I haven't been able
to find it.

Whether by passing xauthority, ssh, or plain old "xhost +", I can't get
anything from a remote machine to display.  Jobs on this machine
can display remotely.  I've tried displaying on my own box with FreeBSD,
and on a redhat box.  I get the same errors with each:

smithpts/0:hawk>xterm                                                           _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 113
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: hawkins.cba.uni.edu:0.0

This happens after posting my xauth code to the other machine.  In this
particular case, I used both xhost and a paste of the xauth string (ssh
isn't installed at the other end on that machine).

I'm getting desparate, here . . .

rick