Could not find the GIMP Help Browser procedure

How do I get help to work in GIMP?  I've already installed libgtkxmhtml1.
The message says "it probably was not compiled because you don't have
GtkXmHtml installed."  Do I need to install something else?
I'm using KDE.  Does GIMP require GNOME?
Also, why don't my printers show up in the Print dialog box?
I can print fine using magicfilter, and I can print from GIMP to a file
and then lpr the file, but I'd like to print directly from GIMP to the
printer.  Someone I know has GIMP installed under SuSE and all his printers
showed up automatically.  Should I wipe Debian and install SuSE instead?
John
P.S. The nearest LUG is an hour's drive away.  Please help!  Thanks.