build raid on install

Is it possible to build RAID-1 on install before installing any
packages. I was looking at the software-RAID howto, and it says to
install linux on a single partition, then create your RAID devices,
and then move the data over to the raid devices. Here is my setup:

/dev/sda1  swap  64   Megs
/dev/sda5  /     100  Megs
/dev/sda6  /boot 10   megs
/dev/sda7  /usr  700  Megs
/dev/sda8  /tmp  250  Megs
/dev/sda9  /var  350  Megs
/dev/sda10 /home 7000 Megs

/dev/sdb1        64   Megs
/dev/sdb5        100  Megs
/dev/sdb6        10   megs
/dev/sdb7        700  Megs
/dev/sdb8        250  Megs
/dev/sdb9        350  Megs
/dev/sdb10       7000 Megs

As you can see, I have configured two disks almost identical. I want to turn

/dev/sda7 and /dev/sdb7 into /dev/md0

which in turn will be mounted at

/var

and then I want to do

/dev/sda10 and /dev/sdb10 into /dev/md1

which in turn will be mounted at

/home

When I read the software raid-HOWTO, it says install Linux on one root partition and
then prepare those other partitions, but don't mount them. Then once you have a small
running system, create the raid partitions, copy your data over, change you /etc/fstab
so it mounts the /dev/mdx and voila, you are off and running.

Here's the problem. I only have 100 Megs as root. I suppose I could install a teenie
tiny system on this, but it would be nice to create the /dev/mdx devices before installation.
Is this possible?

brian
--
Brian Lavender