Re: SuExec(?) isn't installed?

> This might be a stupid question, but how do I get support for SuExec in
> Apache?

i just went through this a couple days ago.

> I've been browsing the Apache website and /usr/doc, but there's no easy
> explaination of how to implement it.

all you have to do is add the suid bit to /usr/lib/apache/suexec.  it should
look like this for it to work.

gotham(root)# l /usr/lib/apache/suexec
-rws--x--x   1 root  root  9916 Oct 30 19:47  /usr/lib/apache/suexec

and then restart apache.  check your logs and you should see a line like
this if everything is working as expected:

[Mon Mar  6 13:39:35 2000] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/lib/apache/suexec)

if you are having problems with it working make sure you check the suexec
log file which is in /var/log/apache as well.

> I've noticed in several places that it is recommenden not to use SuExec,
> but what other alternatives are there if I want cgi-scripts to be
> executed with the users uid?

cgiwrap is the best other alternative, however it doesn't provide support
for ssi's.  i use suexec for virtual domains and cgiwrap for ~username
stuff.

adam.