ppp: error in VJ decompression

I have a potato system, with a 2.2.14 kernel.

I keep getting a message in syslog saying ppp: error in VJ decompression.  As far as I can tell, VJ decompression is handled by a utility in the PPP package.  Is there any way I can debug this?  Are there any bugs in PPP that might cause this?

Something is slowing my ppp sessions down to a crawl, I'm wondering if this might be the cause?

When I log on with my Windows 95 laptop, I have no problems downloading from the same sites.  So I believe it is something in the Potato setup of PPP, but I haven't been able to determine what.

Steve Martin
fairfax@pclink.com