Re: Changing keyboard from qwerty

Reply on-list.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 01:24:28AM -0800, wah wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > Are you trying to set keymaps for the console or for X.  AFAIK, they're
> > handled seperately.
>
> for the console, until I can get X figured out...
>
> > For console:  loadkeys <mapfile> (usually run as root).
> >
> > To get the German keys you are looking for, you will want to try either:
> >
> >     loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de.kmap.gz
>
> I did all that, but the non-english chars don't display, unless I use the
> utility showkey, which does display the right keys.
>
> I even tryed setting the kbd_mode to Unicode, still nothing.
> still confused as ever,
> wah

What shows if not the proper non-standard characters?

You may want to also look into your console font settings and/or
SVGATextMode.

    man consolechars
    man SVGATextMode

The other thing I noticed when in console mode was that the
international keys (umlauts, etc.) only appeared when I was in an
editor.  Not sure if bash filters them out or what is going on.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)