Re: need assistance with configuring sound

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 11:50:52AM +0000, Joseph Anthony de los Santos wrote:

> My soundcard has been successfully enabled thru isapnp.conf, and I have
> loaded all modules for sound thru modconf (sound, soundcore, soundlow)
>  my question is do I still have to load sb module to make sound work or
> do I still have to recompile my kernel? I am using creative soundblaster
> pnp 16.
> when I try to verfiy my soundcard thru cat /dev/sndstat or
> procinfo..it´s not
> there. I dont understand why. please help,  I am using potato. (kernel
> ver 2.2.13).

I also have a SB16 PnP (Which version do you have? Mine is a version
that has both 8 and 16 bit DMAs, there's another version that only has
two 8 bit ones). Before i moved to ALSA, i used a script something like
this to start it. It may be slightly outdated now, but it's a start.

You'll have to set up isapnptools, i don't believe 2.2.13 has pnp
support. "pnpdump --config" _might_ be all you need, depending on
various factors. i have no idea where the "type=6" came from.

    # Plug n Play config
    isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
    # Install basic sound modules
    insmod soundcore
    insmod sound
    # init'ize uart thing, because sb needs it
    insmod uart401
    # Set up the actual sound card! Pulled numbers out of /etc/isapnp.conf
    insmod sb io=0x220 irq=9 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300 type=6
    # Midi support. Note that this automatically loads opl3.o as well
    modprobe adlib_card io=0x388

You can also check the mailing list archives, this has been discussed
before (in 1999, so the search engine can help!)

--
  finger for GPG public key.