Re: Format question

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 05:47:15PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> meskes@debian.org (Michael Meskes) wrote:
> >My kids brought me some files teh types of which I never heard about. Could
> >anyone please tell me what I need to open *.ani? FILE does know this type:
> >
> >Ani/zubat.ani: RIFF (little-endian) data, animated cursor
>
> Those are used by Windows 95 (my /mnt/c/windows/cursors directory has a
> load of them). I can't find anything Linuxy which can read them, though;
> you might try some Windows application [1] through WINE.

At one point about a year and a half ago (before i discovered Linux ;) i
wrote a little prog to translate bitmaps into windows icon and cursor
files. I still have the program and the data i collected on the format
of the files if anyone's curious...

Basically, a windows .ani animated cursor file is a bunch of static
cursor (.cur) files, with some extra header, rate, and sequencing info
thrown in. A .cur is a windows .ico icon file with a few bytes different
in the header. A .ico is a bitmap with a different header and a bitmask
at the end for transparency (although i believe there's provision for
multiple icons &| color depths in a single file, i never investigated
this).

> [1] [fx: dredges memory] Michelangelo?

"Microangelo", if you're thinking fo the same program i am. That'd work
quite well if it actually runs under wine. Haven't tried it lately...
There are probably also other windows cursor viewers floating around
that may be less complex and depend less on the registry, and so have a
better shot at wining... Good luck!

> >P.S.: Please CC me on replies.

Ok.

--