Re: navigator & 3rd party mail/news applications

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 10:09:41AM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> Does anyone know of any existing program to let navigator call
> your favorite mail/news user agent?  If not, I stumbled over
> the Netscape Mail and News API recently and it seems fairly
> trivial to implement this functionality.  I for one has been
> missing this for a long time :-)
>
> Would someone be interested in sponsoring me if I package this
> up?

Allan,

There's an "altmail" source package at

ftp://ftp.nsysu.edu.tw/Linux/CLE/collect/network/netscape-altmail-0.1.tar.gz

It has C files that produce shared libraries to call elm, mail,
mutt, and pine.  I've compiled it on my box (running Netscape 4.7
and Linux 2.2.13) and it works well, at least for Mutt running
under an Xterm.  It also has code that'll call your favorite
newsreader, but I didn't play with that.

I believe it's descended from something Netscape published in the
misty past; you may have stumbled on its ancestor, or something.

-- Larry

--
Larry Clapp / hm: larry@theclapp.org
"Argue with your boss if you have to.  A year of uptime is worth