Re: permissions on /var

S.P. van Noort said:
> And can someone tell me what I should have done, a special flag for cp for
> example.

Relevant cp flag, from man cp:

       -a, --archive
              same as -dpR

And just what are d, p, and R?

       -d, --no-dereference
              preserve links

       -p, --preserve
              preserve file attributes if possible

       -R, --recursive
              copy directories recursively

As for whether cp -a is The Right Thing to do, that's an occasional topic
of extended discussion.  Some people prefer tar or other commands to handle
that sort of thing, but some of us use cp -a and haven't had any problems
with it.  (Although ISTR that problems are possible under certain
circumstances...)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+