Re: STILL Configuring x-windows for EGA- can anyone help with this?

if it were my machine and it needed a GUI i would prob use win 3.1,
anyhthing more would be too much.

nate

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Eric Hagglund wrote:

eahagg >This isn't for me, it's for some children who don't
eahagg >have a computer and I, like much of the world don't
eahagg >have the luxury of 300 Mhz processors and have to get
eahagg >by as best I can. I don't have the equipment and the
eahagg >worstations are going to have to be standalone.
eahagg >
eahagg >I don't agree with your pronouncement on the
eahagg >feasibility of X other than the fact that it runs
eahagg >slower on slower machines. I've seen it run on 486s
eahagg >plenty of times before. It sounds like you are
eahagg >possibly new to Linux and accustomed to using higher
eahagg >end machines, not having thoroughly explored the
eahagg >capabilities of the operating system.
eahagg >
eahagg >--- aphro <nate@firetrail.com> wrote:
eahagg >> even if he could get XF86 setup for EGA(maybe he
eahagg >> can...) i dont think it
eahagg >> would run worth a shit, its better to leave a
eahagg >> machine like that in console
eahagg >> mode.  if you want X, install vncserver and run X
eahagg >> apps from remote. i
eahagg >> would avoid X on anything less then 200Mhz 48MB (any
eahagg >> system i install now
eahagg >> is 350MHz 64MB+)
eahagg >>
eahagg >> nate