Re: oracle8i 8.1.5

= Remco van 't Veer <rwvtveer@xs4all.nl> [20000222 1532]:
> My guess: add /usr/local/jre/lib/classes.zip (be sure it exists) to
> the -cp argument and try again.  I got it to install but don't
> remember how..

 classes.zip doesn't exist in /usr/local/jre/lib/classes.zip.  i copied one
in from /usr/lib/jdk1.1.7 just to see what would happen.  runInst.sh did
start but failed immediately after, printing spurious output full of awt
errors, not surprised really.

 is the irony of this lost on everyone else?  you need a specific jdk to run
this wonderful "write once, run anywhere" java program.  :)  oracle should
hire some debian maintainers to write a shell/perl/whatever installation
script that works on linux boxes.  having to run X to install oracle sucks
as well.

 i have basically given up on this and am waiting patiently for the next
version of oracle8i, which apparently is to be released in less than a month.
if that doesn't work i'll be sticking with solaris.

 i for one hope they've got their act together with the installation by
then.  it's tough enough to install without all this java mess.  that said,
it's worth it once you've got it going, as i do on a solaris box.

thanks..
-vinny
.