What *is* Gnome/KDE?

Hi,

I have been playing around with Gnome and KDE and I do not understand
what they really are!

They both seem to be a bar with some docked stuff and a program
launcher. This is of course seen from a users side of things. I really
hope it is means more to developers!

I know Gnome and KDE are called "environments", but they still only
look like...errrm...a tweaked MS task bar and program launcher.

I am now back to running only a window manager. I have all my software
available a right-click away and no bar is taking up space anywhere.

Am I missing the whole point or something? If Gnome and KDE is
something more I would like to know to be able to improve my desktop
experience. If not I will let the emperor continue showing off his new
clothes ;)

Bear with me, I am only a user... :)

Regards,
Christian Dysthe