Re: eth0: unknown interface

Well, what you said about the modules.conf would only prevent the computer
from loading the module for the network card when booting. By loading in
this module the interface (eth0, or if there are more network cards eth1,
eth2 etc.) is known, later during boot the init.d scripts are being called
(when switching to runlevel 2, as specified in /etc/rc.2) and the
/etc/init.d/network script is also called, that script configures the
network and uses the interface eth0 to do so. That's where the error
occurs, the script tries to bring eth0 up (using ifconfig) where the
interface does not exist.

Ron