Re: eth0: unknown interface

That has nothing to do with it and won't work (by the way, there are a lot
more network cards then just ne compatible ones).
What you should do is edit your /etc/init.d/network, you should make it
look like something like this:

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

If you want to you could let your system think it's on a LAN by adding the
following lines:

IPADDR=10.10.10.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=10.10.10.255
GATEWAY=
ifconfig lo ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

I never actually tried that, but I guess it should work (take notice of
the lo after ifconfig, in your /etc/init.d/network it will probably be
eth0 (ip adresses can of course also be altered (that is: 10.10.10.10 and
with it 10.10.10.255).

Ron