Re: Dselect question - mirroring packages on new box

Quoth Colin Watson,
> You'll want to look at 'dpkg --get-selections' on the old box, and 'dpkg
> --set-selections' on the new one.

I know this is a bit of a clueless newbie question (which I'm not
really). I've seen this advice quite a few times, and even tried it once
or twice myself without much luck...

What on earth are you supposed to do after --set-selections?

Is the idea that you can then go into dselect and just hit [i]nstall? My
impression is that you can't use apt with it (which may be wrong), and
there doesn't seem to be any command you can pass to dpkg without going
through dselect (which I try and avoid).

If someone could fill me in on this, it'd make my backups/resores a hell
of a lot easier.

Sorry again for the newbie question!

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -