Re: eth0--what's up?

its normal, there isn't supposed to be a device for eth* in /dev

nate

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Fish Smith wrote:

dyson_ >Whoo--I saw the Matrix last night, quite a trip.
dyson_ >
dyson_ >On to business.
dyson_ >What exactly is eth0?  From the way I've seen it
dyson_ >discussed I always presumed it was a device node,
dyson_ >residing in the /dev directory, just as ttyS1 is my
dyson_ >modem, ttyS0 is my mouse, hda is my first hard drive,
dyson_ >hdd is my cdrom.  But during the boot up sequence it
dyson_ >tells me it's initiating eth0 as SMC EZ ethernet
dyson_ >whatever at 0x300 with irq whatever, but no eth0
dyson_ >appears in /dev.  I know everything initialized right
dyson_ >because I can smbmount over the ethernet, so the
dyson_ >missing link must be my understanding of what eth0
dyson_ >refers to.
dyson_ >
dyson_ >=====
dyson_ >Fish of Borg
dyson_ >Visit me on the web!  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Frontier/4874/stccg.html
dyson_ >///Archaeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what appears to be a missing page from the Bible.  The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn.  If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my Darling Candy.  All Characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental."///Red Dwarf
dyson_ >Do You Yahoo!?
dyson_ >Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
dyson_ >http://im.yahoo.com
dyson_ >
dyson_ >
dyson_ >--