Re: Woody upgrade wants to remove ppp-pam. Should I let it?

Phillip Deackes wrote:

> When I do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on my already-woody system I get the
> following:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ppp-pam
>
> I am too scared to carry on. Is this a problem or is there something
> else to replace ppp-pam?

Remember, apt-cache is your friend ....

poo:~$ apt-cache show ppp
Package: ppp
Version: 2.3.11-1.1
Section: base
Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1), libpam0g, netbase, sysvinit (>= 2.75-4),
libpam-modules
Conflicts: ppp-pam
Replaces: ppp-pam
Architecture: i386
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/ppp_2.3.11-1.1.deb
Size: 231708
MD5sum: ec5daa157e22a489106b95f655655cae
 The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard way to transmit
 datagrams over a serial link, as well as a standard way for the
machines
 at either end of the link (the "peers") to negotiate various optional
 characteristics of the link.  Using PPP, a serial link can be used to
 transmit Internet Protocol (IP) datagrams, allowing TCP/IP connections
 between the peers.
 .
 This package contains pppd with PAM support built-in, so `ppp-pam'
 package is obsolete.
installed-size: 461