Re: Should I use squid?

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 10:30:19PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> If you have only 1 machine, the only benefit would be the ease of adding
> "Ad Zapper".  If you hvae more than one in use, it could definitely be
> a benefit.    The difference on my fir apt-get, http and ftp is noticable,
> especially with Ad Zapper.  Pages load ALOT faster.

Actually there are a few possible benefits:

 - w/o a proxy server, users and even clients among a single user,
   cannot share a cache.  Using Squid shares duplication of resources.

 - Squid is designed for one thing.  My perception is that browsing is
   faster using squid than relying on Netscape's cache.  Squid is
   designed for high performance browsing by caching frequently used
   objects in memory.  Given Netscape's notorious memory mismanagement,
   I'd say you're better off w/ Squid.

   This is anecdotal, though it seems reasonable.

 - Squid give you fine-tuned control over what is cached, how much, and
   for how long.  Much more so than Netscape.

I'm finding that, though not T1 speed, tying together Squid and
Junkbuster proxies makes my 56k line much more tolerable.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)