Newbie mistakes

I'm up and subscribed.  Thanks to all who were kind enough to tolerate my
post

I'm having some problems after a smooth installation of Essential Debian 2.1
Everything went wonderfully once I felt my way around.  I had many attempts
but the instructions were there to follow and it came off very well....
except I neglected to note how much room I was using.  When I was having
trouble with X server configuration I checked in Midnight Commander and I
had 1k left and then I watched it go as well.  I'm comfortable with dselect
and have no trouble loading what I want and gassing what I don't.  The
Midnight Commander has been good for me.  I can change permissions and have
become quite familiar with the directory tree.  I'm hammered the FAQ's,
HOWTO's and man pages.
    I crashed system without enough room left to spool anything and have had
problems ever since.  I can't run startx without problems.  Here is the
list.  I thought I sent it earlier but I think I messed up the address.
Please excuse this if it is a repeat of such a big whack of writing.
   I've repartitioned, reinstalled, dselected, and commented this and that
all to no avail.  One of the first messages was: "Can't read "messages.
(phase2.1) : no such variable while executing. "label $w.waiting -text
$messages(phase2.1) file /usr/X11R6Setup/phase2.tcl  line 25.
    Now I have the following experience at boot up.  Valid xdm at boot
GNU/Linux logon screen.  Login and it leaves me with a textured screen and a
mouse cursor to play with and that's it. ^Alt F1 takes me to the console
with no error messages.  Logon there as root then startx and get "fatal
server error server is already active for display 0.  If this server is no
longer running remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again."  At this point the
drive is reading like crazy and after a few minutes kicks out: "unable to
load interpreter /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc line 3 685 Segmentation fault
/etc/x11/xinit/xintirc"  I had some problems with a file marked red with !
xserverrc at /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc but it no longer appears to be there.
        Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I messed up and have been
blown away with the ease of the packaging scheme.  I like it and it makes so
much sense to me.  It was flawless until I fell asleep at the wheel! %@$$@**
I've tried every approach to try and have this system write over and replace
the file but I just don't know enough to make a go of any of it.  Managed to
get LILO configured to do my bidding.  Given that I can't write to my CD
there shouldn't be a reason that I couldn't start again but I have failed to
figure out how.  I'm tempted to write in a dos partition and format it for
dos then through the Linux fdisk in and start that way.  I'd gladly submit
to a better way.