Re: please help with new samba

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> I upgraded my samba package to frozen (2.0.6), and now it doesn't work with
> my old smb.conf file. I've been up and down the samba docs and I've tried
> all sorts of options which don't seem to have any effect (which probably
> means I'm missing something basic). I can't even list the shares on the
> server itself:
>
> server:/etc/samba# smbclient -L server
> added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
> Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I had similar problems. Actually, accessing my potato machine from Win95
didn't require changes, but everything else did. Perhaps the following
will help.

The above command works for me if I don't type in a password and just hit
Enter, or if I add -N to the commandine to not ask for a password. Or, If
I add my userid to the command line:

smbclient -L server -U rickm

and then enter my password at the prompt. What doesn't work is if _I_
(rickm) run the command as you did and type in rickm's password!

smbmount also needed different commandline args:

smbmount //atoyota/C /atoyota/c -n
changed to:
smbmount //atoyota/C /atoyota/c -o guest

And this one:
smbmount //ntfssrv1/public/netapps /ntfssrv1 -U rickm -I 111.112.113.114
                                             -P mypasswd
changed to:
smbmount //ntfssrv1/public /ntfssrv1
                 -o username=rickm,password=mypasswd,workgroup=theirgroup

...RickM...