Re: /opt ?

bart@gigabee.com (Bart Szyszka) wrote:
>A couple KDE-based programs that I tried converting from RPM to
>DEB recently have been installing themselves in something like
>/opt/kde/bin or /opt/kde2/bin (this was yesterday when I tried setting
>up kdealpha). Is there a way to do the conversion for alien so that
>the DEBs install the programs into the right directories? Like instead
>of /opt/kde2/bin they should put the stuff in /usr/bin and likewise for
>/opt/kde2/lib , /opt/kde2/include , etc. What I'm thinking that I should
>try is to backup those directories in /usr and then copy the files from
>the /opt/kde2 folders into the /usr equivalents, but I think that the backup
>will probably come in handy.

You could try using the -g (or --generate) option to alien; see the man
page for full instructions, but this will allow you to move files around
in the package before you actually build it. 'debian/rules binary' in
the directory it produces will build the .deb itself when you're
finished.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]