OT: Free-Quake

Greetings all,

Reading through a text written by John Carmack about the GPL release
of Quake (found at http://www.idsoftware.com/q1source/q1source.txt):

> All of the Quake data files remain copyrighted and licensed under the
> original terms, so you cannot redistribute data from the original
> game, but if you do a true total conversion, you can create a
> standalone game based on this code.

Question: Is someone already doing this?  (AFAIKT this is out of the
          scope of the Quakeforge project, but I'm not sure)

btw: What are this data files all about?  Maps, graphics and sound
files I think, but maybe (much??) more?

Regards,
Lars