Re: Pronounciation of Linux that important? - curiosity about origin

> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>

> Well, native English speakers pronounce Linus as Lie-nus (as in
> Peanuts).. but Linus Torvalds is pronounced Lee-nus, and he says Linux
> is Lee-nux. If he doesn't know, nobody does! So I'm with him.

Since those would suggest only "LIE-nucks" and "LEE-nucks", I still
wonder:  Where did "LIH-nucks" come from?

Did the sound come through someone speaking a language that has neither
the long-e nor long-i sounds (of English) (so only a short i was
perceived and repeated)?

Was it just an odd perception of how the letters l-i-n-u-x would
be pronounced?

Hey, wait:  Might it have come from Minix, which I assume is pronounce
"MINN-..." (as in "minimal")?  That's what Linus started with, right?

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
dsb@smart.net