Re: Netscape questions

> From: Robert Waldner <waldner@Austria.EU.net>

> well, this naturally led me to think that keeping those records local
> should speed up starting netscrap, so I had tcpdump running while starting
> netscrap but I didn´t see a single packet (having, of course, made sure that
> those records aren´t cached). the netscrap-version I´m using is 4.61...so
> much for trying to smart it out :-/

I used strace on Communicator a couple of weeks ago, and found a couple
of interesting things.

- When Netscape (well, Communicator) hangs chewing up lots of CPU but
  doing nothing, it seems (if I didn't mix up the pipe file descriptor
  numbers) to be trying to read from a resolver process that already
  closed its end of the pipe.

- Sometimes Netscape would freeze for a while, again using lots of
  CPU, but then it would come back after a while.  However, if Java
  had been started (by visiting a page with an applet), then when
  Netscape froze (with high CPU usage), it would not come back.

- Have a large (~3000) number of bookmarks seems to aggravate the problem.

- Something in the combination of problems points to memory leaks or
  screwed up heap-allocation code.

I sure hope Mozilla is written competently.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
dsb@smart.net