Re: Video card recommendation?

Unfortunately there's not a video card for XF86/Linux that does both great 2D
and 3D at the same time as far as I know. G400 is great for 2D but it's very CPU
dependent as far as 3D is concerned. The reason why geforce cards are so slow currently in 3D in XF86 is because drivers are not ready yet. Hopefully DRI will allow nVidia cards run as fast as they do under that more famous OS, but we all have to wait. If you want just great 2D performance, Matrox cards are very nice. But their 3D performance just doesn't cut it. If you'll just be playing 3D games go with a 3dfx card. I know visual quality sucks, but at least your games will be playable. I can't wait for geforce driver completion for Linux since those are very quick in 3D in Windows. Check out www.anandtech.com, he has some nice 3D reviews.

--
Get the truth or risk frying your brains! --> www.truthinlabeling.org <--