Re: which 2.2 kernel?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 12:25:42AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I was wondering which is the stablest 2.2 kernel curently
> I am never shure if it is the even or uneven numbers ( is it 2.2.13 or
> 2.2.14 ?)
> I am using kernel 2.2.9 , is it worth the update?

2.2.x
  \------ 2 is even -> stable

2.3.x
  \------ 3 is odd -> unstable

so 2.2.13 and 2.2.14 are both stable since the second digit is the
important one.

> also, by what name does the 2.3 kernels go? are they available under
> debian, and is it a new version after potato ( I am a bit out of
> date ).

Also note that above kernel versions have _nothing_ to do with the
debian versions.

Debian 2.1, codename slink, used kernel 2.0.36 IIRC
Debian 2.2, codename potato, uses a kernel of the 2.2.x series
Debian ???, codename woody, currently also has a 2.2.x kernel
                           (I might be wrong on this)

slink is currently considered outdate^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hstable,
potato is frozen and will become stable in a few weeks,
woody is unstable

HTH

--
Weasel                            http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP/GPG encrypted messages prefered. See my site or finger -l ppalfrad