RE: K6 Optimized Debian Binaries

On 16-Feb-2000 dan@cg619985-a.adubn1.nj.home.com wrote:
> I have compiled some of recent 'frozen' sources optimized for K6 with PGCC.
> Anyone is welcome to get 'em. FTP to cg619985-a.adubn.nj.home.com or
> 24.11.49.110. I would not use them on important or production machines
> since some stuff might break with compiler options like -malign-double.
> Use at your own risk, though have been stable for me. Enlightenment seems
> speedier, and so should be others.

Just an FYI -- many groups will ask you to recompile a binary before they will
help you with bugs if they discover the item was compiled with pgcc.  pgcc has
been known to improperly compile code or break assumptions some code makes.
SuSE for example will not touch things compiled with pgcc, or so I am told by
several of their key programmers.