Re: Sound ES1371 issues

> I appreciate your response.
>
> Concerning the OSS/Lite drivers: So do I understand that the division of the
> two categories (the five or six drivers on the outer level vs the OSS
> category) are simply because the OSS ones came from a different source? In
> other words, the kernel developers developed the ES1370/1 and Turtle Beach
> and S3 drivers, so they left these in the outer level, but the OSS drivers
> came from the OSS people and so were put in a different category? OK, I can
> live with that; it's confusing to someone who doesn't know the history, but
> that's okay; Life's a classroom.
>
> The contents of my /etc/modules is:
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
> # An entry named `auto' will cause the system to start kerneld immediately.
> # Kerneld then loads modules on demand. `noauto' disables kerneld completely.
>
> #auto
> nfs
> smbfs
> vfat
> psaux
> serial
> lp
> 3c59x
> es1371

Yes, that's what you need.

> Running "modprobe es1371" doesn't show any output, and when I then try to
> "sox wls.wav" or "sox jesus.au", I get:
>
> sox: Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect [ effopts ] ]
>
> Failed at: No output file?
>
> (I think maybe I'm not providing sox with enough parameters.)

Sorry.  That would be "sox wls.wav -t ossdsp /dev/dsp".

> When I run "splay wls.wav", I get pretty sound. When I run "splay jesus.au"
> I get no output, either audio or text.

IIRC the mixer defaults to a very low volume ie 0.

> When I "cat wls.wav > /dev/dsp" I get nasty squeals. When I "cat jesus.au
> > /dev/dsp" I get rough-sounding but more-or-less intelligible sound.
>
> "saytime" sometimes results in a quick blip, sometimes in a choppy "The time
> is now four-twenty-blip".

That sounds like the driver.  What kernel revision are you using?

> When I run "mpeg_play [some_movie].mpg", I get good video but no audio. (But
> then looking at "man mpeg_play" I learn that it doesn't play audio tracks, so
> never mind.)

mpeg_play doesn't play audio.  Try MPEG-TV (iirc; you can find it at
http://freshmeat.net).

> Running "xanim +Ae [some_movie].mpg", I get choppy video and no audio. Same
> without the "+Ae" option.

MPEGs don't play very well with xanim.

> The sound card worked well in Windows, so I'm confident the hardware
> is okay.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein