masquerading & ftp

As a learning exercise, I'm replacing our FreeBSD firewall with a Debian one.
The machine is used to provide masquerading for several Windows, Linux and
FreeBSD boxes on our cable modem.

With Debian, FTP doesn't work from behind a standard masquerading firewall.
I've observed the problem with ipfw and ipchains both.

What is different about the default handling of FTP, ICQ and similar clients,
and what should I read up on to change this behavior? Under FreeBSD, these
worked without any special handling.