CAD/walkthrough software for debian?

Mark W. Eichin writes:
 > There are a bunch of cad-like packages in debian; I'm hoping that
 > people have tried enough of them to make a recommendation:
 >
 > I'm looking for something to do a house-walkthrough, with enough
 > detail to show (for example) if a given size of book case will really
 > fit in a particular location (so 1cm resolution, for spaces up to 30m
 > across.)  A raw geometric CAD program might do; so might a VRML tool;
 > for that matter, a Doom/Quake WAD editor might be good enough although
 > I don't actually know of any DFSG-free ones.  I'm more interested in
 > *functional* than pretty - I figure I can always dump the data into a
 > renderer later...
 >
 > Suggestions?  DFSG-free very highly preferred (because I'll probably
 > dislike *something* and want to change it) but if you think the Right
 > Tool is something specific that is non-DFSG but still available for
 > Debian, I'm still interested (mostly so as not to eliminate java apps...)
 >
 > 			_Mark_ <eichin@thok.org>
 > 			The Herd of Kittens

Mark -

I am a Debian user, and I have spent some time trying to find an
application or applications to do 2d CAD work, 3d modelling, rendering
and animation. The best I have been able to come up with is "Octree"
for CAD (2d&3d) http://www.octree.de (I have been unable to make it
run on my debian (slink) system, but I believe it is easy to do so (I
am a non-geek) - I have made it run on NT, and it was designed on
SuSE, the people on the mailing list are very helpful...maybe when I
upgrade to potato).

For rendering and animation, try Radiance
http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/index.html

Peter